- Prostate Cancer Treatment 'Reduces Side Effects'
- Sky News, April 17, 2012A high-powered beam of ultrasound can destroy prostate cancer without causing the serious side effects that plague other treatments, according to new research.
- Prostate cancer treatment 'may reduce side-effects'
- BBC News, April 17, 2012A new technique to treat early prostate cancer may have far fewer side-effects than existing therapies, experts say.
- New prostate cancer treatment
- ITV News, April 17, 2012For thousands of men who develop the most common male cancer, prostate cancer, the effects of treatment can be almost as distressing as the symptoms. Now a new form of treatment, using sound waves, can kill the cancer without the side effects.
- New prostate cancer treatment may reduce side-effects
- BBC News, April 16, 2012A new technique to treat early prostate cancer may have far fewer side-effects than existing therapies, say experts.
High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) Technology
High Intensity Focused Ultrasound, or HIFU, is a therapy that destroys tissue with rapid heat elevation, which essentially "cooks" the tissue. Focused ultrasound works in the same way as rays of sunlight that pass through a magnifying glass and are concentrated at a single point, causing a significant temperature rise around the focal point. Thermal ablation is a non-invasive (incisionless and radiation-free) treatment that has been used in humans since 1993.
Benefits of Ablatherm® HIFU to Patients :
Non-invasive Treatment that allows speedy resumption of normal life
Ablatherm® HIFU is a non-invasive treatment, meaning that no incisions are made (and consequently there are no scars). The impact on neighboring organs such as the urinary sphincter (incontinence) and erector nerves is limited. The Ablatherm® HIFU treatment probe is inserted into the rectum, enabling very easy access to the prostate, which is located immediately behind the rectum wall.
Repeatable Radiation-Free Treatment
Unlike radiotherapy rays, ultrasound waves are quite harmless. They are used in a range of applications including ultrasound imaging during pregnancy. With HIFU technology, the same harmless waves are produced at a higher intensity and focused to produce a therapeutic effect for prostate cancer treatment.
Custom Treatment - 'Radical' or 'Focal' Approach
With the Ablatherm® HIFU, the urologist is able to provide personalized treatment, taking into account the anatomy of the prostate, the patient's preferences and any other treatments already received.
The urologist may decide to treat only the diseased part of the prostate (in a "focal" strategy) rather than treating the complete prostate ("radical" strategy), in order to maintain maximum quality of life by limiting the impact on the surrounding tissue.
Robotized Treatment for maximum precision and safety
The urologogist plans the Ablatherm® HIFU treatment and the machine then executes the instructions to the letter, with movements that are accurate to within a millimeter, which is not possible when working by hand.
The Ablatherm® HIFU is equipped with many automatic safety features and the treatment parameters can be monitored in real time for maximum safety and effectiveness.